The works currently on view in the Morehouse galleries represent the diversity of the Farnsworth collection – with works spanning more than two centuries – as well as the inventiveness of the artists who have found Maine an inspiration for their work.
Located on the museum’s 6th floor, the Nevelson Gallery currently features an array of mediums and artists from different centuries with a focus on the history and scenic beauty of mid-coast Maine.
Families of great artists comprise a small but significant part of America’s art historical record and the Wyeths, along with their circle of friends, are the focus of this exhibition from the Farnsworth collection currently on view in the Cowan Gallery of the Wyeth Center.
This exhibition in the Library Gallery explores the physical, spiritual, and cultural landscape of Maine’s mountains and their spell-binding power that has captured the public imagination as expressed through painting, poetry, and literature. Organized by Farnsworth Registrar Angela Waldron.
The 1850 Greek Revival Farnsworth Homestead was the home of Lucy Copeland Farnsworth (1839-1935), the museum’s founder, and is part of the main museum campus. Open to the public late May through early October for tours, the elegant structure has remained intact, with virtually no changes during Lucy’s lifetime. Housed within the home, and now featured online, is the Farnsworth's historic Homestead Collection which features original Victorian furniture, carpets, and other furnishings, as well as paintings, prints, glassware, dishes, clothing, toys, and jewelry.
The Farnsworth's collection of Nevelson works is the second largest in the United States and spans six decades of the artist's long career.
The Farnsworth has a large collection of works by Jonathan Fisher, the first pastor of the First Congregational Church of Blue Hill, Maine. Largely untrained as an artist, he had a natural ability for drawing and painting and taught himself wood engraving.